Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Day 3

Got off to a slow start but started to feel better after 20 miles. We had a wonderful conversation with a women named Maxine. She was sitting in a chair with a large shade tree over her. We sat with her and learned about her 3 children and her husband that had passed away in '86. She moved into the house in '84. I was putting sunscreen on Jeanne's arm and Maxine began to cry and say how she missed her husband. Jeanne and I both began to tear up. I made sure to get a hug and a picture. Words can't express the moment!

We went through XXXX and were waiting for a drink. We heard someone say they were from Crestline. We introduced ourselves and the are members of our cycling club. I had never met Nick and Sue. Crazy in the middle of Iowa. Then I took a dip in a pool the city had setup.

We then had moment #2 for the day. It was just Jeanne and I on the road for a short stretch. Corn fields as far as you can see. Other than love for my wife there are no words.

Then the last 17 miles with no towns. It was brutal!! Had to stop about 10 times. We got back to camp and found we got to sleep inside... Air conditioning!!!

We went to take showers at the local high school and Jeanne learned the joy of communal showers. I remembered how much I hated showering in P.E.

After our showers we saw a sign for pork burgers at the little league field. When we got there it turned out they were playing the round robin portion of the state championship. It was like the field of dreams, perfect weather and wonderful people! Urbandale defeated Dubuque 9-0.

Then we called it a night!

No comments:

Post a Comment