Thursday, July 26, 2012

Day 4

Wow! Today was one to remember and forget! Jeanne and I woke up after a wonderful night of air conditioning and packed. We both felt like this was going to be one of the longest ever. Temperatures were forecast of a high of 102.

We set off for Marshalltown from Webster City. The truth is I was afraid one if not both of us would get heat stroke. My legs were tired and every pedal was a chore. We road 12 miles into the town of Kamrar. We had a nice breakfast served be the preservation society.

As we were heading out of town I asked Jeanne if we should call it a day. Without a second of thought we agreed and pulled to the left side of the road and turned our bikes upside down. Our day of riding was over. A van came and took us to the Marshalltown. I slept the whole way there.

When we arrived in Marshalltown we set our tent up and got organized. I made sure we put the rain fly on the tent because rain was forecasted for the night.

I suggested we go to the movies and see whatever was showing next. She agreed AC and a diet Coke sounded great. We took the shuttle and met so a women named Marsha who shared some of the important things to see and do.

We saw Batman. We were not impressed. But the AC was great! While at the movies there was a thermometer that read 105. We were thankful we did not ride!

We then head for Made-Rite sandwiches at Taylor's. Our waitress Mandy was wonderful. I asked what I should eat and she told me and I ate it! She was right on. While eating we could see storm clouds forming. I realized that I had forgotten to zip the windows shut in the tent. It was time to get back to camp fast.

We got back to camp as the rain began to fall. I was looking forward to a good Midwest thunderstorm. (Jeanne was not!). The rain started and then the wind, lightning, and thunder. It was getting pretty intense and the tent was blowing down on us and popping back up. It was very loud an the I heard a police car come through the campground telling is to head for safe shelter. I told Jeanne to run for the truck and I would secure the tent. I was just in shorts. No shirt or shoes. When I got to the truck Jeanne was not there. Lightning was all around, thunder was booming, and my wife was missing! I ran from truck to truck yelling for Jeanne. I couldn't find her in the storm. Last I had seen was a scared woman running away from me....

Jeanne had not ran to our charter's truck but one that was passing by. She thought they were evacuating us. The truck just drove off and she went to another truck and the showed her were the safety shelter was. She went and stood in there.

I am still running from camp to camp yelling for Jeanne! I went to each truck and was yelling for Jeanne. I final made it to the shelter and there was my beautiful wife, safe! Praise God!

The storm did blow water into our closed tent. It blew over 20 portapottys! The pole on top of our tent is now broken.

We are safe and looking forward to 80 plus miles in the saddle tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment